Friday, October 12, 2007

The Cookie Monster

Eid without cookies is like sleeping without pillow. I've been wanting to bake cookies since the beginning of Ramadan but I knew the cookies would be gone before we finish the first week of fasting. So I had to postpone the cookies making until last week, exactly 1 week away from Eid.
I made two kind of cookies: kaastengels and butter cookies. The pictures below had been edited, an attempt to cutify the cookies.. ^_^


Kaastengels
This salty cookies --more like cheese biscuits perhaps-- is a must have for Eid and any other holiday festival in Indonesia.
You'll need 1 egg, 1 cup of butter/margarine, 1 cup of shredded cheese (I used processed cheddar cheese), 2 cups of flour, 1 tbsp of powdered milk, and a pinch of salt. Sometimes I add other stuffs like corned beef, chili powder, cornflakes, or parsley.
Beat the egg and butter until smooth, and mix the other ingredients. Roll the dough into 1 cm thick, cut with knife or cookie cutter, glaze with egg yellow, and bake.
I used my new kaastengels cutter, that's why they're in such uniform shape. Usually, I didn't bother to cut them with knife and my kaastengels were really out-of-shape. So there's an improvement this year.. ^.^


Butter Cookies (green tea, chocolate chips, and coffee)
I didn't use recipe and scale to measure everything. So what I wrote below is just the approximate amount.
Ingredients: 1 egg, 1 cup of butter, 2-3 cups of flour, 1 tsp vanilla, 1 cup of sugar, 1 tsp baking powder, and a pinch of salt.
Beat egg and butter, mix other ingredients. The dough was divided into 3. I add 1 tbsp powdered milk with green tea flavor to the first part; chopped chocolate bar (with cashew nut and dried fruits) to the second part; and 1 tsp instant coffee to the third part. Next, drop the dough into baking sheet using fork and spoon, then bake. So easy.. ^^
The green tea flavor was really weak. I planned to use real green tea powder but then I realized that I left the stuff at lab. Too lazy to get it, I just used HiLo green tea..

Cookies never last long in our house. That's because there's a cute cookie monster who's also happen to be my little (but bigger) sister..

Love you sis, but please let the cookies last until Eid..

No comments: