Friday, April 13, 2007

101 Ways to Cook Instant Noodles

Instant noodle a.k.a. ramen is the staple food for most students—mainly those who are away from home, due to its simple preparation and satiating effect. In Yogyakarta, there are many burjo (bubur kacang ijo=mung bean porridge) & instant noodle stalls that open 24/7. So if you just recently moved to the city & you haven’t got any cooking utensils, burjo stall could be your alternative.

Myself, although I lived with a complete set of parents, is a fan of instant noodles. My favorite are Mie Kare and Mie Selera Pedas in hot chicken curry flavor, and the classic Mie Goreng & Mie Rasa Ayam Bawang from Indomie—now replaced by those from Mie Sedaap of WingsFood. I eat instant noodle at least once a week. Maybe I would eat them everyday if my mom did not forbid me.

Being a student of food science, I am fully aware that instant noodle contains very high sodium (not good for your blood pressure) and low nutrition (protein, vitamin, & fiber –though the resistant starch is relatively higher). However, that does not lessen my predilection for instant noodles. Just remember to drink a lot of water to minimize the bad effect of sodium. Maybe you can also try my mother method by adding plenty of garlic to the noodles. As for the low nutrition value, you can boost them up by adding eggs, vegetables, and other stuff. Furthermore, Momofuku Ando –father of instant noodles, had been eating instant noodles everyday in his life (since he invented it, of course) and stayed healthy (that’s what he said, by the way) until the age of 96 (he died in January this year).

Here are some of my tips to cook instant noodles:

· Just as I mentioned before, my mom always adds plenty of garlic, an egg or two, and vegetables into instant noodle with the purpose of increasing its nutrition value. So many vegetables that sometimes I think it is actually vegetable soup –with noodle as bonus.

· My father likes to add young cassava leaf into the noodle. First of all, you boil the leaf until tender, changing the water once or twice to remove the slightly bitter taste of the leaf. Next, you add the boiled leaf to the noodle, near the end of the cooking time.

· Add milk to the noodle. You can use powdered milk or liquid milk. Just make sure that it is not sweetened (unless you want your noodle tastes like some unsuccessful chendol).

· I love to add miso. If it’s not available, I use tauco (Javanese miso) instead. They are not the same things, but close enough. Those who have high blood pressure may not want to try this since miso is also very high in sodium.

· Add tomato sauce and oregano. This works best with Mie Goreng, giving a touch of Italian to the noodle.

· Add cheese. I love cheese. No need to explain.

· Kerotia’s favorite: add carrot juice, milk, and whisked egg. No sugar added.

· Drain the noodle after cooking, mix with the seasoning, add 2 eggs, shallot, leek, and vegetables (usually I use carrot). Cook in a flat frying pan, pancake-wise.

· Fruits, such as apple & pineapple, can be added to Mie Goreng for Hawaiian taste.

· If you have some sate sauce or rendang leftover, just mix them up with Mie Goreng.

Do you have other idea?


By the way, do you know that Indonesia is the second largest producer and consumer of instant noodles?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

aku wes tau moco profille momofuku ando, manteb. Perjuanganne ok.

Unknown said...

waahh.. kren mbak nyu... tapi bhs inggris gw ga ngarti :(
wah.. serius tuh.. dicampur susu.. kyk mana rasanya gila...
klo gw mash lebih suka indome soto.. lebih brasa atau mie sedap soto juga oke.. titikamalnya megang baget tuh... :D

ok teruskan perjuangannya..
happy blogging...
salam http://templank.web.id

Anonymous said...

Wow, I didn't know that you love instant noodle so much.
you know, i olso like to eat that but I prefer mie cup than the usual instant noodle.
My favorite in ABC cup. I used to eat it whenever i'm hungry in the midnight. Which is olmost everyday :). Ups, everynight i guess.
Of course there is ABC cup selera pedas which is really really spicy for me but i like to eat it when the weather is cold.

Well, see u then...

Keep eating
&
Long live the instant noodles